Peter Maxwell and Associates (Services) Pty Limited, ACN 113 223 528, ABN 86 113 223 528 and Maxwell IP ABN 29 803 549 925 (together “Maxwells”)
About this policy
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to carry out functions or activities that are associated with the provision of Patent and Trade Mark Attorney and Legal services that Maxwells provide (“Services”).
if you do not provide Maxwells with personal information requested, Maxwells may not be able to provide you with the full range of services, deal with your enquiry or otherwise interact with you in the way you expect or request.
Collection of your personal information
Maxwells collects personal information in their day to day business activities, communications with you and others and via our website. The main way we collect personal information about you is when you give it to us. Typically, this information includes.
- Employment Position
- Telephone Numbers
- Email Addresses
- Postal and Residential Addresses
- Affiliations with third parties
Collecting sensitive information
Sometimes we may need to collect sensitive information about you. With respect to the Services provided by Maxwells generally the only sensitive information collected about you would be information regarding your membership of professional associations.
In addition to the personal information referred to above Maxwells may also collect information regarding your:
- Trade marks
- Business plans
- ABN/ACN Numbers
- Credit card and Bank Account Numbers
- Confidential and financial information generally (particularly if used in evidence).
In the course of providing services Maxwells also collects personal information from publicly available sources to enable us to contact persons who may be interested in our Services.
Collecting through our websites
Maxwells has its own public website — www.maxpat.com which allow you to provide to us personal information. We may use this information to respond to you or provide you with our services. We store this personal information on servers located in Australia.
Analytic, session and cookie tools
We use a range of tools provided by third parties, including Google, Bing and our web hosting company, to collect or view website traffic information. The information collected by these tools may include the IP address of the device you are using and information about sites that IP address has come from, the pages accessed on our site and the next site visited. We use the information to maintain, secure and improve our websites and to enhance your experience when using them.
Social Networking Services
To the extent that we use social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to communicate with you, we may collect your personal information, but we only use it to help us to communicate with you.
We collect your email address and, if you provide it, other contact details when you subscribe to our email lists. We only use this information for the purpose of sending you regular updates regarding subject matter that may be of interest to you and/or to provide you with our Services.
Maxwells collects information about contractors engaged to perform services. Such information might include remuneration details, hours of work, emergency contact details, details of superannuation fund, tax file number, bank account details and emergency contact details.
Maxwells collects and retains the information received from job applicants or recruiters (which is likely, to include name, address, email address, work history and referees of the applicant). This information is held, used and disclosed as reasonably necessary for the purposes of the recruitment process. We may conduct reference checks if you provide referee details. An applicant should ensure that you have advised the referee that you have disclosed their information to Maxwells.
We hold personal information collected in both hard copy files and electronically.
Use and Disclosure
Maxwells collects personal information:
- to provide legal services
- to provide trade mark and patent attorney services
- to maintain contact with clients
- to keep clients and other contacts informed of the services Maxwells offers and of legal developments that may be of interest to them
- to notify clients and other contacts of seminars and other events that Maxwells may hold and to run surveys to improve our services or to conduct thought leadership
- to administer any contract or engagement Maxwells may have with you
- for legal compliance purposes
- for general management and reporting purposes, such as invoicing and account management
- for other usual business activities.
In providing our Services, Maxwells will often be required to provide your personal information to third parties. These may include:
- Government Departments (for example IP Australia in connection with the prosecution of patent, design or trade mark applications) and international agencies (e.g. WIPO)
- Legal Associates (for example barristers ) and agents (who may be overseas) including to register your IP in another jurisdiction
- Australian and Overseas Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys
- Patent and Trade Mark Search Companies
- Communications companies, mailing houses (eg. Mailchimp for administering email communications) and other service providers
- IT professions maintaining our IT infrastructure
- Financial institutions (for processing payments)
- Professional Standards Bodies (in dealing with any complaint)
Disclosure of sensitive information
We only disclose your sensitive information for the purposes for which you gave it to us or for directly related purposes you would reasonably expect or if you agree.
Quality of personal information
To ensure that the personal, sensitive and other information we collect is accurate, up-to-date and complete we, where necessary, confirm the accuracy of information we collect from a third party or a public source, promptly add updated or new personal information to existing records. We also review the quality of personal information before we use or disclose it.
Storage and security of personal information
We take steps to protect the security of the personal information we hold from both internal and external threats. Information is maintained in Australia unless it is required to be disclosed to overseas third parties which include overseas Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys and Legal Associates, as well as IT service providers (for example if we communicate with you through social media). Information is maintained for as long as necessary to perform the services.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You can contact Maxwells using the details set out below any time if you want to access the personal information Maxwells holds about you or if you want to update or correct your personal information.
How to make a complaint
If you wish to complain to us about how we have handled your personal information you should complain in writing. If we receive a complaint from you about how we have handled your personal information we will determine what (if any) action we should take to resolve the complaint. If we decide that a complaint should be investigated further, the complaint will usually be investigated by a more senior officer than the officer whose actions you are complaining about. We will tell you promptly that we have received your complaint and then respond to the complaint within 30 days.
How to contact us
Telephone: +61 2 9247 9000
Facsimile: +61 2 9247 9945
Post: PO Box R1466 Royal Exchange NSW 1225